Year 9 Reflections 2014

“This year in history, I feel as though I have learned more about how I learn effectively than history itself.” (Ben)

“This year, not only have I learned much historical content, I have also learned to become a more effective learner and interpreter of historical events.” (James)

“I have learned to observe the situation from more angles than the first that comes to mind. I also found out how to appreciate the story of the losing side in a conflict, because the winner generally skews the truth.” (Scott)

“The assignments really helped me grasp the topics as they gave us freedom to do what we wanted but with some focus.” (Antony)

“It was a positive and fun environment and we were entertained and captivated.”

“I was taught how to encourage others and how to give constructive feedback.” (Tom)

“The main lesson I remember was learning about WWII when you did a large diagram on the whiteboard, then drew lines to connect the countries, and at the end it was a massive blur.” (Taylor)

“This year I have developed as a writer.”

“When I first started this year I found your method of teaching without linear notes quite deterring as I was always taught to be a rote learner.” (Brandon)

“I was intrigued and interested in your different teaching methods.” (Jack)

“I think you are a very fun teacher and you make learning fun.” (Alex)

“The key thing I learned this year and will continue to use throughout my life is the ability to think outside the box.” (Sam)

“This year in history, I have become a more independent and creative learner.”

“I had never used Facebook to do schoolwork before and I thought it was pretty odd.” (Alex)

2 thoughts on “Year 9 Reflections 2014

1. Great reflections from your students, Cam. Can you share with us some of the strategies and activities you used with them this past year.

2. My quick response would be: meta-cognitive reflective writing, free-writing activities, simulations and role plays, thinking routines, four major PBL tasks, a focus on peer critique and feedback, narrative teacher feedback prior to anything being submitted for a mark (which wasn’t often), and lots of relevant music!