An Everyone Culture

When was the last time you were asked to talk about your progress towards your personal improvement goals or to undergo a formal review in front of colleagues? In An Everyone Culture Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey describe organisations that are convinced that they will thrive only when every one of their employees does. After reading the book I resolved to try a practice suggested on page 235. At the conclusion of a recent Heads of Department meeting I asked everyone to write an anonymous response to the following question:

“As someone who knows me and wants to help me keep growing, what do you observe that I could be doing differently that might make me more effective?”

I became very nervous as everyone in the room began silently writing. However, my concerns were misplaced as all of the responses were thoughtful, helpful and considered. Many were overwhelmingly positive, like these three:

I’d like to see you trying to find more ways to decrease the influence of HSC results and parental power on the teaching and learning at Shore.  Of course, I know you are already doing as much as humanly possible to facilitate what might be called a more enlightened curriculum, so thanks for all of that and good luck!

To continue to push the envelope in regards to the best practices for teaching and learning

Personally I believe you are doing an exceptional job exposing us to new media and introducing the staff to innovative ideas.

My key takeaway was that Heads of Department are keen for more one-on-one time with me and keen for more opportunities to share what they are doing with their teams.

I found the exercise affirming and beneficial and it has consolidated my trust in my colleagues.

Why don’t you approach three people who you trust at work and ask them:

One thought on “An Everyone Culture

1. Cam, your willingness to lead by example and be open and reflective are truly inspiring. More of this needs to happen in leadership! I always enjoy reading your posts because of your openness, desire to grow and develop and the great resources/ideas/approaches. Keep up the great work.