Global Teacher Prize

I was recently honoured to be listed in the final 5o teachers in the running for the global teacher prize, with an award of one million US dollars going to the winning teacher, to be announced in February. I just read through the biographical details of the 50 contenders and I don’t think I have ever felt like such a fraud.

I shouldn’t have been surprised to see Tom Bennett’s name appear. He is the engine behind researchEd which we are hosting in Sydney in February. I also wasn’t surprised to see Michael Soskil appear. I met him in an Edcamp breakout at ISTE this year and I was awed by his determination to change the world. Lisa Parisi was also known to me via Flat Connections. It is a small world and the education community is even smaller. 

I have no idea what I would do with one million dollars, although I would certainly use it for education somehow. To be honest my initial thoughts pale into insignificance when contrasted with the aims of nominees like Azizullah Royesh in Afghanistan and Kiran Bir Sethi in India. What amazing educators, with such initiative and resourcefulness and drive. If I won a million dollars I’d use it to work with people like them.

One thought on “Global Teacher Prize