Student Reflections 2020

Richard 

History.  Why learn history?  I had a multitude of questions and perceptions of history before I even started history this year.  I used to think history was just looking at the past and memorising events/dates and eventually doing a test at the end of the year to test how well you remember things. Looking at the circumstances now I realise: History isn’t just looking into the past, history allows us to understand the past and its correlation to the present and future of our lives.  History also broadens our horizons as we look into the perspectives of people from different countries, times, ethnicity and to understand their happiness, pain etc. which shows how everyone is different and chooses different paths throughout life.  In a few years, I imagine I might reflect on society today and explore into not just Australia’s history but so much more.

Zac 

I used to think history was an irrelevant subject of stories told that has no impact on our life.  I used to think Australia’s history told a great story and did not have a racist history at all.

Now when I am in a history class instead of getting bored to death I think what we can learn from these mistakes in the future and how we can acknowledge these mistakes and show that we as a nation of Australians have impacted indigenous peoples land and culture.

And in a few years, when I travel home to Walcha which has a large Aboriginal population, when I play rugby with them I will look to interact with them more and acknowledge that this is not my land and I am a visitor to this land and I must pay my respects to their culture and traditions.

Lawson 

I used to think history was boring, the classic topics regarding warfare and ancient civilisations conquering the world, were uninteresting to me.  I also used to think that I was always the most important person in the room.  Disregarding other people’s opinions and ideas as I subconsciously believed I was more important.

I now have discovered a different side to history that I enjoy a lot.  This is the societal/political aspect.  I think that so much can be learnt through digging deeper into the societal changes that can be made through the actions of few people.  I now am much more aware of my treatment of others.  I think now that it is important to consider if what you think is right and wrong is really right or wrong.

In the future I can see myself having a much more enjoyable experience interacting with people.  I have already noticed that as this year has progressed and I have studied about the mistreatment of dark-skinned people globally.  I have developed stronger relationships with people I previously may have mistreated.  I can see that my social awareness will help me in connecting and succeeding in life.