Missing Christopher

This is not a pleasant post.

One of my key memories of my first year of teaching was escorting a small group of Year 9 students to their friend’s sister’s funeral. She had died in a car accident. I recall my distress at observing the impact upon my students. Since then, attending student funerals has become a regular part of my job and I have spoken at several of them. Tom died from emphysema in Year 9, Alex was hit by a car late at night in Year 10, David died in a car mishap, Christopher fell off a headland, Joe passed away from an infection caused by leukemia, Nick died on a family bushwalk, and there were others I didn’t know so well as I had not connected with them in a large school. I wonder if there has ever been any research into the emotional impact of student deaths upon teaching staff?

Now a mother has written a harrowing story of the apparent suicide of her son Christopher. It is an insightful and powerful gaze inside a family devastated by depression. I taught Christopher’s brothers Ben and Nick. Missing Christopher is the story of Chris’s shocking death and its impact upon the family. It is a visceral read, with a very important aftermath written by Professor Gordon Parker. I was given the book last Friday and read it that afternoon while waiting for a delayed flight, with tears streaming down my face. The book deserves to be widely read – by parents, people suffering depression/mental illness, and by teachers.

2 thoughts on “Missing Christopher

1. Your question about research on the impact of student death on teachers is important.
    Thanks for writing so honestly about it and the issue of teen mental health.

2. Thanks for reading Dale, and for taking the time to write a response. I feel a bit uncomfortable posting this, so appreciate your support.